- "Super-ladies, they're always trying to tell you their secret identity. Think it'll strengthen the relationship or something like that. I said, Girl, I don't want to know about your mild-mannered alter ego, or anything like that. I mean, you tell me you're a super-mega-ultra-lightning-babe, that's all right with me. I'm good. I'm good."
- —A younger Lucius being interviewed.[src]
Lucius Best also known as Frozone is the pentagonist of The Incredibles franchise. He is one of the two tetartagonists (alongside Jack-Jack Parr) of The Incredibles, the deuteragonist of Mr. Incredible and Pals, and the pentagonist of Incredibles 2. He is married to Honey Best. His powers include ice powers and super strength and agility.
A former "hot dog", Frozone has a "cool" personality and strong morales. He is always there to help his friends, even going as far as offering to house the Parr family after the Super Hero Relocation Program was shutdown by the government. He is also laid-back, charismatic, charitable, level-headed, friendly, heroic and supportive of others.
During the movie, it is suggested that he has adapted to civilian life much more easily than his long-time friend, Bob Parr, though he still possesses a hidden cache containing his costume and all of his old gadgets in working condition.
He married a woman whom he refers to as Honey, who is aware of his superhero past. Lucius is best friends with Bob, and a close friend of Helen and the kids, who are the only supers he socializes with following the banning of superheroes. Whenever Lucius and Bob go out on Wednesdays to engage in superheroics, they have to cover from their respective wives by claiming to be going bowling, but they stop going out when Bob is caught by Helen. Frozone was Syndrome's original target to be murdered in Operation Kronos (before Syndrome changed targets upon locating Mr. Incredible), as Mirage is seen watching the two friends rescue people in the burning building and hearing a radio transmission asking if she was sure if she wanted to change targets, and she responds saying Mr. Incredible is the one they were looking for. When Mr. Incredible infiltrated Syndrome's headquarters after being presumed dead, he learned about Operation Kronos and reacted in horror to the long list of Supers who had been murdered by Syndrome. Bob's horror is magnified when he sees that Frozone's status is "known", realizing that Syndrome knows Lucius' whereabouts.
Mrs. Best also knows of Frozone's clandestine superhero work. He later reappears in the second half of the film when the Omnidroid v.10 battle robot sent by Pine (now known as Syndrome) attacks Metroville (where the two families are residing), and it walks by the Bests' apartment. Lucius, who is getting ready to go out to a special dinner, tries to change into Frozone but discovers his supersuit is missing from his small superhero base. On asking his wife, he quickly realizes she has hidden it somewhere else in the house and does not want him going out to perform any "derring-do" because they have been planning the dinner for two months. He eventually finds the suit, however, and manages to aid the Incredible family in battling the Omnidroid.
Frozone helps the Parrs in battling the Underminer, where he is approached by Winston Deavor, who offers Lucius, Bob and Helen to come to Devtech as his ambassadors for a campaign to re-legalize supers. Sometime after Helen leaves, Lucius gets a call from Violet saying they need him to come over to help Bob deal with Jack-Jack who has powers. When he gets there, he finds a sleep deprived Bob and a seemingly normal Jack-Jack. He creates ice balls for Jack-Jack so he doe snot get angry, and advises that Bob catches up on sleep.
Later, Bob calls Frozone and tells him to watch his kids while he goes to help Helen. Frozone agrees after receiving the call as he grabs his suit this time, ignoring the outcry of Honey. Frozone gets to the Parr's home in time to help Bob's kids. However, the heroes tell him that he's a target too and he blasts them away. Battling the mind-controlled Supers, he is able to be able to handle himself until being grabbed. Fortunately, the Incredibile arrived and he breaks free long enough to activate its voice system and orders the kids to do the same before getting put under Evelyn's control. Frozone then tries to attack the kids but they escape.
Along with a mind-controlled Bob and Helen, Frozone attends the superhero conference to sabotage it by taking the crew and ambassadors hostage. However, the kids board the cruise and free their parents, and eventually Frozone, from the mind control. Since the ship is set course to crash into the city, Frozone generates ice on the water to slow it down while Bob manually stops the rudder, and they succeed in stopping the ship while Helen defeats Evelyn. The day is saved, and Frozone and the Incredibles celebrate over Supers becoming legal again.
Powers & Abilites
- Ice Generation: Frozone has the power to freeze water, or even ambient moisture in the air. He is limited by the amount of water available, either in liquid form, or in the air. It is also indicated that he can use the moisture of his own body to generate ice.
- Snow Generation: Frozone can also create snow, soft enough to cushion falls and slides on rough surfaces.
- Cold Immunity: Though unconfirmed, since supers are told to be immune to their own powers, Frozone's cryokinetic power most likely renders him immune to cold (meaning he is completely undisturbed by any degree of cold).
- Airborne Mobility: He can generate ice in their air to skate across, which gives him the ability to skate mid-air for a few seconds at a time.
- Superhuman Strength: During an apartment fire, Lucius can be seen running with two unconscious people on his back with relative ease, hinting that he may have some degree of superhuman strength.
- Skiing: As he travels by ice locomotion (e.g. ice skis, ice skates, ice discs), Frozone is an expert skier.
- Visor: Frozone wears a sun visor to protect his eyes from snow blindness and to conceal his secret identity.
- Dehydration: When dehydrated, his superhuman ability to generate ice is weakened as a result.
- Low Humidity Environments: In hotter climates with little ambient water vapor, Frozone cannot generate large quantities of ice via the water in the air.
|Films and Shorts|
|The Incredibles||Appears||Jack-Jack Attack||Absent|
|Incredibles 2||Appears||Auntie Edna||Mentioned|
- According to official sources, Frozone is 40 years old, is 6'2" (187 cm) and weighs 180 pounds (81 kg).
- Originally, Frozone was supposed to be recruited to "stop" Omnidroid v.8, but Syndrome and Mirage decided that Mr. Incredible would have been a better choice, as evidenced by the conversation they had when Mirage was tailing them.
- Although it is believed he is the godfather of Bob's three children, this has not been confirmed in the film.
- According to the National Supers Agency, Frozone had attempted to represent the United States in the Winter Olympics, but was rejected on account of his Super abilities granting him a tremendously unfair advantage.
- Despite to being a major character and being in the promotional material, Frozone has a few screen time in the first act of the first film, but has a little more screen time at the final battle. The screen time makes a total of six scenes of screen time making him a supporting character, but he has more screen time in the trailers. He has a larger role in Incredibles 2 as one of the film's six central characters (along with Robert Parr, Helen Parr, Violet Parr, Dash Parr, and Jack-Jack Parr).
- In the mobile game Disney Heroes Battle Mode, Frozone states that he was born with his powers.
- Frozone's helmet and goggles are available in the first-person shooter game Team Fortress 2 as a cosmetic item for the character of the Demoman (under the name Hungover Hero).